(Not quite finished) landscape by me

IMG_6614.jpg

Image | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to (Not quite finished) landscape by me

1. Mr Modigliani says:

This is fantastic and I’m anxious to see the finished piece

Thank you so much. I think it’s close to finished- I have some underpainting in the left corner to cover… I may try out some things digitally to see how certain effects would look in the sky and then paint them only if they come out looking well digitally. I really don’t know what I’m doing with landscapes (as one can tell) which is why I decided to go with a more Expressionist style or even Munch style. I’m familiar with those very complex landscapes by masters like the Hudson River school and I could never do anything like that- the detail, the shading– I realize that they did paint from actual vistas, and you would learn the effects of color and light,but since I never went to art school (is that where you learn it?) I still don’t know the correct placement of shadow in relation to light. I guess this can be studied. But as far as this particular painting goes I will probably not much with it too much since at least it is at a stage I like… and there are other things on my mind to paint much more than this. I painted a landscape only bc my husband and I never agree on art subjects.

• Mr Modigliani says:

Kinneret, you should paint what inspires you and never compromise for a partner. I did too much of that for far too long

I know what you mean but my taste is a bit strange and morbid, some of it– since I wanted to hang some of it on our walls– e.g. I wanted to make a huge painting of Sodom and Gemorrah burning down with Lot’s wife in the foreground about to turn around, and he noted that it was not something we could really hang over the fireplace. But that wasn’t even the worst- I’m really inspired to do a Holocaust series of paintings, nothing graphic but it would certainly be gloomy. Again, it’s nothing he wants to see on the walls, especially considering his family was murdered in the holocaust. So do you paint then?

• Mr Modigliani says:

Yes you paint them but you don’t hang them above the fireplace. They are an expression of your spirit and they are asking for release.

Yes, I understand and I agree– but I hate to paint something and then have to hide it away somewhere.

• Mr Modigliani says:

Believe me, I know the feeling

2. I find your painting pleasing to the eye. I would even consider not finishing it. I like the abstract perspective of what you’ve done so far.

The feelings your husband has regarding your inspirations for paintings are very understandable, and it is good for you to respect those emotions. However, although the products of your inspirations may not find themselves over your fireplace, there may well be homes in need of them elsewhere. Perhaps exchanges could be possible. The art market is most difficult, and many artists are starving as they seek well-fed patrons. Look for those not personally and severely attacked from having to deal with man’s inhumanity to man, but seek others able and daring enough to face reality presented by you. I believe that there are those who are willing to show such pictures and others needing to see them.