Man Ray, Solarized photo of Lee Miller

Lee Miller was Man Ray’s lover and a muse for a time before she left him. Miller not only inspired Man Ray’s best images but she even discovered the solarization technique he used, below. Her image is so striking that i cannot help but think the photographer is only one part of the agency of the photograph. The model is not only the subject of the photo but contributes in her own being, persona, and interaction with the camera.

les-trouvailles-de-man-ray-et-lee-miller,M163375.jpg

This entry was posted in art, photography, Surrealism, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Man Ray, Solarized photo of Lee Miller

Technically, remarkable, but artistically? As the model melts, she becomes one with the floor.

The model melting would not have bothered the Surrealists since they were misogynists. What I see here is the influence of Freud and Jung, experimentalism, dreams, and so forth.

• marblenecltr says:

Nothing physical, just a Platonic affair involving thought, a couch, and a pipe or cigar smoking psychiatrist with a notebook, and a watch that kept time with fifty minute hours.

So that’s where the famous painting Ceci nest pas une pipe must come from. The psychiatrist was smoking a pipe…

• The Surrealist supposed misogyny is a vexed question, while they definitely objectified women as muses, lovers, le femme enfant etc, it also was represented by the largest number of participating female artists of any art movement that I know off, Lee Miller, Leonora Carrington, Annie LeBruin, Unica Zurn, Dorothea Tanning, leonor Fini, Remedios Varos, Meret Oppenheim, Ithell Colquhoun and the remarkable Claude Cahun. I look forward to arguing with you on this one

That’s quite a funny statement. Most people want to spend their time arguing politics Many of these women were their lovers. You might like “The Black Dahlia Avenger” by Steve Hodel. Maybe that will convince you of the misogyny…

• We could argue about politics if you like but its very hard to argue about because most people are convinced and will not be swayed…its not a dialogue but two separate monologues superimposed over each other…whereas Surrealism misogyny I’m unsure of…I know that the whole feminine mystique involves a level of objectification which I can appreciate could be construed as veiled misogyny and I know that a lot of female Surrealist’s gained their entry into the movement through male lovers (usually Max Ernst, he obviously had it going on) but does that negate their own talent? Couldn’t it be a case of talented people being attracted to other talented people? Also Breton who was responsible for so many of the adopted Surrealist attitudes and beliefs while being arguably misogynist and homophobic provided invaluable and unwavering support to the lesbian (also jewish) writer and photographer Claude Cahun,,,I will have to read the book you suggested because I can be convinced otherwise but I do feel that though far from perfect the Surrealist have been judged harshly on the whole issue

I don’t have strong feelings about it. As they were moving into a modern era, they may have had relatively more respect for women than artists prior. The artists before them had a limit to the repertoire they could produce and could not turn a woman into a violin, so the Surrealists could have been unfairly criticized for playing around with objectification. No, I don’t like arguing politics at all.

• Well I think my politics are pretty obvious…i dont want to persuade anyone though

I can’t tell anything about your politics here. I try to avoid the subject in general though because my views don’t make the left or the right happy.

• Well i will certainly not press you, besides we still all create our own systems and not be enslaved by anyone else’s, not such how that would work out in the world but at least we can dream

My views continue to evolve. In general, I am highly pessimistic about just about everything at this point.

What do you feel about the future of Ireland? Do you see it remaining Irish? It is such a shame that a country which had such a glorious past once then underwent the Famine, then lost so much of its population that emigrated. And I read that Dublin had become wealthy and high tech but that a lot of the people benefiting were (?) English/Europeans.

There are times when a pipe is just a pipe.

3. Marc says:

This is a solarized portrait, not of Lee Miller but of Meret Oppenheim whom Man Ray was also a lover.