Bats, mice, and other friends

I came across a delightful article about signs your house has become host to creatures. At least, it was delightful until I saw a mouse dart out of the velvet curtain on the kitchen floor. I withheld my scream but in fact lost it and gave a blood curdling scream the SECOND time it darted out. I like mice. I like bats. But not in the house. At that point, it becomes sheretz, a swarming thing. Not as bad as cockroaches, which I would blast with a Smith and Wesson. I would not be able to kill a mouse. I would also hate to see one suffer in a trap. As for bats, we plan to have a batbox outside. But… well now we have a wingless bat scurrying the floors, and I know I won’t go downstairs tonight. Drats on the pekingese dog, who is useless as a mouser.

deer mouse 1common-vampire-bat_505_600x450

This entry was posted in creatures and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Bats, mice, and other friends

How does it feel now to have YOUR habitat invaded, huh? As for me, I say, not what I want, especially with a rabid bat.

My blessing to all friends, “If you have ants, may they all be red; if black, may they all be dead.”

You are absolutely right about raccoons, destructive, messy, and can be rabid. Some 15-watt bulb minds from the north captured raccoons in Florida for hunting back home, thus leading to many rabid raccoons here. Red ants may sting a little here, up north, but the black ants can eat your house.

4. milliethom says:

Ooh, I feel the same way about mice in the house – not that I’ve ever seen any, as yet (touch wood). I like the little creatures and had some as pets (in a cage!) when I was a child. But to have them running – and breeding – freely in your house is a different matter. Perhaps you shoild get a cat to give your pekingese a few lessons. (I’d be happy to shoot cockroaches, too.)

Yes, it’s a very conflicted feeling!! Fortunately we haven’t seen any since then. My mother in law bought glue traps which I hate– painful. I just heard from a friend you can buy a sonic device that emits a high pitch sound that drives them away. That would be soooo much better.

• milliethom says:

We have sonic devices to drive away the moles that keep tunnelling all over our garden. It’s definitely better than killing them, as most people do. I really do like moles. The devices work for us, so you could always give them a try for mice.

5. Ah I love bats, they have some of the most amazing faces of any mammal! I got my mom a batbox for her birthday last year, it’s so crazy how many bats can fit in them!

hehehehehehe my pekingese has a bat face, too.

• Awww I love bat faced dogs!! I used to dog sit for a couple of brussels griffins that I swear must have been at least 50% bat… Do you have photos of her/him on your site?

Oh yes love Brussels Griffins. Also, I used to call French bull terriers “bat dogs.”. I don’t think I have the peke up here. My other dog also has a mashed-in face, a Boston Terrier. The peke lures them in with his gorgeous fur then starts barking rabidly if he doesn’t like them, sending the psycho Boston Terrier (often meek) into sacked out small killer dog mode. The worst offenders are joggers.

• awww lol! One of my pups has the rabid barking problem, but for everything- leaves falling, wind blowing, flies buzzing- everything is very offensive!

Mine chases leaves blowing because he thinks they are birds. Not very bright, the peke.

6. thefeatheredsleep says:

Ooh bat box… brave …. mice ok bats good but pls stay away ( RABIES )

Right… It’s hard to be afraid of that, I guess. Seems so much more likely to get something else…lyme disease… we haven’t set up the box yet… I mainly want to see them flying out at night!

7. kinneret says:

Aww, thanks so much. I am not really a landscape artist, just did this for my husband since he wanted that. I prefer figure drawing/portraits although I do want to do some Expressionist paintings of his garden…he has an amazing English garden with a lot of grasses.