My favorite film characters

I was tagged by http://christawojo.com/ for a blog tag link on favorite film characters. Here we go although not sure about order. I highly recommend all of these films but note they are dark. Anyone who follows this blog is welcome to post their own and link back to this one so I can see your choices.

Alicia Huberman (Ingrid Bergman) in Notorious (Hitchcock), 1946.  Incredibly brave, reckless, double agent, tormented by hot and cold boyfriend and by Nazis.
Ingrid_Bergman_in_Notorious_Trailer(4)

Gilda (Rita Hayworth) in Gilda, 1946. The plot is a bit convoluted, not as good as Notorious, what it aspires to be, but still must-see film. She’s the quintessential femme fatale.
rita-hayworth-1946-gilda

Madeleine (Kim Novak) in Vertigo (Hitchock). Enchanting, Hitchcock poetic muse. A true victim of circumstances in one of the best psychoanalytic films ever.
VertigoMadeleine1

David (David Naughton) and Jack (Griffin Dunne) in American Werewolf in London, 1981.  Likable characters in this black comedy who make an unlucky acquaintance with a werewolf.
picture-16

Veronica Sawyer (Winona Ryder), Heathers,  1988. New girl meets mean girls. New girl kills mean girls.
Heathers-heathers-4743738-1600-900

Rynn (Jodie Foster), The Little Girl who Lives Down the Lane, 1976. She’s only 13, but Rynn knows how to survive alone in the world and protect herself against adults who would harm her.
jodiefosterlittlegirllane

Stacy Hamilton (Jennifer Jason Leigh), Fast Times at Ridgemont High,  1982. She comes of age fast, really fast. Leigh is an amazing actress and character is heartbreaking.

fast-times-stacy-and-ron

Ripley (Signourney Weaver) in Alien,   1979. She’s tough and she fights aliens.
Alien

Rachael (Sean Young), Bladerunner, 1982. An incredibly beautiful but unlucky android caught in a human’s world.
1b3588f076a59432957a44fce83e0cd1

Antoine Daniel (Jean-Pierre Leaud), Les Quatre-Cents Coups (400 Blows), 1959. Misunderstood youth, neglected by his parents, in a fantastic New Wave film that makes you cry.
fenced-in-1

This entry was posted in film and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to My favorite film characters

And Rita could dance!

You know, I thought of asking you specifically to post yours as I was curious. I didn’t link w/anyone tho as it feels like that is excluding others and no reason for it…

• secludedsea says:

I’m going to post my own entry on this and let you know 🙂 I realy admire the Ripley character, expecially in the first two movies, but feel she was shortchanged by the storylines in subsequent sequels. What do you think of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s ?

I actually have never seen that film. I know that must sound odd but things like that happen where you have certain gaps. The Ripley character was originally a man, but they decided it would sell the movie better if they made it a woman. The first movie was the masterpiece, truly suspenseful and beautifully filmed. I’ll look forward to seeing your choices.

• secludedsea says:

I know what you mean. I used to know a lot of women who raved about Breakfast at Ts, and I saw it for myself. I can see how her character might appeal, but the movie left me cold; just as reading Gatsby left me cold! Yes, Alien is the masterpiece, with Aliens a very good sequel. The others are best forgotten.

Yes, I guess Breakfast at Ts just didn’t sound appealing although I liked her chapeau. But I never saw it so could not say. Gatsby is a beautifully written novel but it is not one that has characters you can empathize with. In that way, it’s a bit like Proust.

• secludedsea says:

Agreed. I studied Gatsby at school and found the characters self-involved and cold; which I suppose is the very essence of the text. I couldn’t appreciate it at the time. I have yet to read Proust, but certainly aim to.

I’m probably comparing them because the main character in Proust has this hopelessly fawning love over a dislikable coquette (high-end prostitute), which makes me think of Gatsby and Daisy. I do remember liking it at the time although it is very slow and I don’t think I could read it now. Life is short so it is important to read what we find compelling. Do you have any favorite authors then?

• secludedsea says:

I actually really like Thomas Hardy, I have always found his storytelling compeling, and his characters well drawn. ‘Jude the Obscure’ is one of my favourite books of all. When I read it, I found the characters very true to my experiences at the time. The disastrously flawed love affair, and the concept of being trapped by society and love is a compelling nucleus.

It’s been a long time since I read that book but I studied it in college and loved it. He is not easy to read, so when I tried to read Tess (since I loved the movie) I was unable to get so far. But maybe I was impatient at the time.

• secludedsea says:

Return of the Native by Hardy is a pretty easy read from memory. Quite a compelling story too.

I’ll have to read that, then. I could definitely do with something bucolic and very British. At least I’m reading Churchill now. You can’t get more British than that.

• secludedsea says:

Oh, it’s very English pastoral 🙂

• secludedsea says:

I also really enjoyed Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope.

another one on the list…

• secludedsea says:

I’ll wager that list is rather lengthy !