Another Eugene Titov and advice for young people

Eugene Titov - Titov Evgeny - Евгений Титов

1. You are going to get old. Unless you commit suicide, get a disease, find yourself murdered, or fall victim to some sort of calamity. It may seem impossible that you will become middle aged and then even older after that, but it’s true. To prove it, look at pictures of your parents or better yet grandparents when they were younger than you are now. It’s important to understand the transience of youth.

2. Think about other people. This is the most essential and important part of being a human being.

3. If you do not believe in God, consider the reasons, such as if, as an undergraduate, you majored in Lenin and Marx.

4.  Politics are about policies and ideas. It doesn’t mean people are evil or necessarily ignorant if they disagree with you. It means you don’t like their ideas. it is best to try to examine both (+) sides always rather than throw in your lot with one party.

5. There is nothing so beautiful as a child’s love or giving love to a child.

6.  Take risks. There is a time window for everything and you never know when the window will close.

7. Put down the phone.

8. Don’t waste too much time on TV or online. Read instead… like Dante’s Inferno, The Iliad. Make time matter. Great films are lovely but there are far fewer of them than the vast hordes of great literature and nonfiction.

9. Don’t be narcissistic. Even if you are an artist. Most artists and writers will not leave a lasting mark. Some exceptions: Shakespeare, Homer, Euripides, Melville, etc.

10. Leave the world a better place than you found it. The balance of good and evil in the world might be cosmologically affected by each of us.

This entry was posted in art, Eugene Titov and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Another Eugene Titov and advice for young people

1. Why didn’t you tell me fifty years ago?
    2. I do, and it is depressing, so much room for improvement.
    3. If you believe in Marx and many others not mentioned, you provide the reasons for answer 2.
    4. True often. Exceptions are when ideas are advocated to support the evils of one’s nature.
    5. Obviously, it depends on the love.
    6. Risks for what objective?
    7. Gladly, I didn’t want to pick it up in the first place.
    8. D’accord.
    9. I hope that the people who need to read #9.
    10. I try to, but billions of others keep messing it up.

Now for a question for me to ask. Can we take your Rorschach now?

2. kinneret says:

Good answers. You are right about those responses. As for risks, yes, good point, needs to be qualified. I guess for one I’m thinking– don’t give up on something you want to do before you even try. Such as…there are certain things I might have done had I had more confidence that are rather too late to do now. For example to have studied psychology or neurology or gone to art school. Some things you still have latitude to do later. I also agree with you on politics. There are some bad/evil people. There are also some very bad ideas (what you consider bad depends on your point of view, objectivity, and full logical understanding of the information and consequences). I wrote this list bc a friend asked me what advice I would give to myself if I could. I didn’t go into advice for men and women, though. No Rorschach but on the Myer Briggs, every time I take that test I’m INTP. Which probably doesn’t bode well from a work standpoint.

3. Pingback: Another Eugene Titov and advice for young people | necltr

In my search for knowledge, I have to show my ignorance of psychology and ask two questions: what is Myer Briggs and what is INTP? I hope this contributes to greater appreciation of art.

Myer Briggs is just a test of your personality type that is based on theories of Carl Jung (famous psychologist). I think this site allows you to do it or at least see what it’s about. http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html Basically, there are different types. Introvert vs extrover (I or E), sense v intuit (S or N), thinking vs. feeling (T or F), and
      perceiving vs. judging (P or J). Based on your answers you end up with letter combinations that signify a type. It has to do with whether you are introverted or extroverted, your preference for concrete or abstract, your ambiguity tolerance, your tendency to rationalize or be sensitive/empathetic and how you finally process (perceive/judge).

• marblenecltr says:

Please comfort me with the assurance that, in case I were to take the test, there are no wrong answers. I have heard from others that after being told that, and as their papers were examined in the other room, they heard loud guffaws. Is that a good or a bad thing?

There are no wrong answers to this test. Some people (my aunt) told me she didn’t like her results bc she was supposedly a “boring” type of personality or a type people don’t like but that’s B.S… she’s very funny, witty. They have this test for corporations to weed out people. Creative types, and so on.

In days in the distant past and before you were born, I read, but don’t know why, “The Lonely Crowd”, by David Reisman and others. If memory serves properly they categorized people in groups such as the inner directed, outer directed, etc. The outer directed lacked a foundation, they followed the crowd, and so forth. I have to reread that book. Maybe you have readit yourself.

It sounds interesting. I looked it up. Fairly well known sociology text, looks like. Wonder how it would stand up as an analysis of personality types in the current age. Then again I think Death of a Salesman has aged incredibly well, as we are seeing a whole generation of people becoming obsolete in the face of all of this new technology.

They will live on in portraiture and other forms of art and in writings. As Brave New World looked far ahead, from time to time, people will look back over their shoulders.